HISTORICAL SKETCH

The story of Jellinek Society, known back then as Jellinek House, goes back to 1959 when a residence known as the United Church Hostel was established by the United Church of Canada on the South side of the city of Edmonton. Although for many years the United Church almost entirely funded this project, no attempt has ever been made by the United Church to dictate policy or establish administrative procedures for the House; the governing Board of Directors has always assumed the sole responsibility for such matters.

In 1964, the Hostel moved to its present location. Its name changed to Jellinek House, and then on July 27 1964 a registration was submitted and Jellinek Society was incorporated under the Societies Act. 

 

Jellinek Society - Edmonton Archives